Grant to improve intermodal freight flow in the USA
The US city of Peru, located in Illinois, and the railway company OmniTrax have received a grant from the Illinois department of transportation to fund the Peru intermodal, safety, congestion and energy security project (Pisces), designed to improve safety of the Peru Industrial Railroad (PIR), which is managed by OmniTrax.
Pisces is expected to cost of USD 4.4 million. Illinois’ funds will cover 60% of project costs, and OmniTrax and the city of Peru will cover the remaining 40%. PIR operates a small but vital 4.8 km route in Peru, providing switching services for Peru's industrial park. The rail line interchanges with OmniTrax-managed Illinois Railway as well as with BNSF. (ben)