Spanish trade picking up since November
The set of state-owned Spanish ports moved 462.9 million t in total between January and November 2020, 9.0% less than in the same period of the previous year.
However, during the month of November, the movement of goods was only 0.2% lower than that of the same month of 2019 (42.6 million t), due to the growth in exports and the fact that container traffic (mainly in transit) grew by 15.1%.
Between January and November 2020, Spanish foreign maritime trade was at 240.5 million t, 11.2% down from the same period of the previous year. 65.6% corresponded to imports, and the remaining 34.4% to exports.
The acceleration in the growth of exports in the month of November compared to November 2019 (+ 5.7%) moderated the accumulated fall of the year, which went from 5.0% in October to 4.4% in November.
Exports of liquid bulks increased a remarkable 9.6%, those of solid bulks by 7.9% and general merchandise by 3.2%. Imports, however, have not recovered and registered a decrease of 13.7% in November. Ro-ro traffic totalled 51.7 million t until November, 14.1% less than in the same period of the previous year. (cd)